Great CEOs and Board Directors need the ability to influence and engage as well as the courage to take risks. Truly successful CEOs also have a deep understanding of the commercial drivers of their business, combined with intellectual bandwidth, a well-honed ability to spot the right opportunities and an unfailing ability to understand what their customers want.
We see the challenge is in gaining the right experience and the senior exposure required to make it to the top job.
- How does a leader in the marketing function gain board experience and exposure?
- How does a leader in the marketing function build a network with the experts and organisations surrounding CEOs?
- How does a leader in the marketing function gain insight and knowledge of other functions and issues that CEOs face?
Building on the success of our ground breaking Scholarship Programme, The Marketing Academy has partnered with McKinsey & Company to develop the Fellowship Programme. A select group of exceptional marketing leaders at the top of their organisations, large or small, will have the unique opportunity to gain the insight and develop the skills to help them make the transition to CEO, or to secure a place on the Board.
Fellowship Programme Overview
Developed in partnership with
The Marketing Academy Fellowship is a unique part-time programme developed exclusively for those already at the very top of the marketing function in their organisations.
Whilst there is no charge for The Fellowship Programme participation is highly selective.
Designed to provide successful fellows with access to Board-level thinking and distinctive learning opportunities, the programme aims to ensure that our marketing leaders build the right capabilities to take on a future CEO or Board role.
The first programme commences in October 2013 and runs for 12 months. Fellowships will be awarded to a maximum of 15 high-achieving marketing leaders who will benefit from:
- Mentoring One-to-one mentoring sessions with a select group of high profile Board Chairs, Non Execs , CEOs, CFO's, Lawyers, Bankers, Board executives & influencers. An elite group of 30 Fellowship Mentors include Ronan Dunne CEO O2, Mark Parsons Dep CEO Barclays, Amanda Sourry Chairman of Unilever & Nigel Boardman Partner at Slaughter & May
- Knowledge Curriculum developed by McKinsey & Company which begins with a 3-day "Residential" with developmental content covering the full CEO spectrum hosted at an elite venue in Europe followed by a series of six "Masterclasses" covering Board-level topics, designed and delivered by leading experts in their respective fields
- Executive Coaching All fellows will receive one-to-one coaching from an executive coach provided by our coaching partners Wisdom8
- Access to an extended external network of top business leaders and functional experts including Bankers, Accountants, Lawyers, Private Equity leaders, Economists, across all Board functions
- Peer-to-peer learning and development with an exclusive peer group
- Board Experience post Fellowship all fellows will be given the opportunity to gain practical Board experience as a non-executive, Board Advisor or Trustee of a charity or social enterprise. This represents a way for participants to "give back" to the community, whilst also gaining further practical experience.
The Fellowship Programme has been designed for time-constrained individuals, however Fellows are required to fully participate. It is anticipated that the Programme will take 12-15 days in total during the 12-month period.
Selection Criteria & Process
Developed in partnership with
Up to 15 Fellowships are awarded each year following a rigorous multi-stage selection process to include: nomination, application, endorsement and a multi-dimensional interview.
Applications are invited from both large and small business and within diverse market sectors i.e. Consumer, B2B, Charity / Social Enterprise, Creative & Marketing Agencies, Public Sector. There are also Fellowship places for entrepreneurs.
Ideal applicants will currently:
- Hold the No. 1 role within the marketing function (e.g. CMO, SVP, Marketing Director) with at least 15 years' experience in a marketing leadership role or be in a leading position in an entrepenurial company/SME
- Have a clear ambition and the potential to proceed to a CEO/Board role
- Have an international dimension to their career
- Demonstrate significant professional achievements in their career
- Demonstrate commitment to self-development – both professional and personal
- Demonstrate clear progress against their personal career goals to date
- Be inspirational leaders
- Be employed in a permanent role and not under any known or suspected risk of redundancy or termination
During the selection process applicants are also assessed for strategic agility, intellect, ambition, resilience, reputation, motivation, values, beliefs and adaptability.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2013/14 FELLOWSHIP ARE NOW CLOSED
Register with The Marketing Academy for regular updates, info and news*