Great CEOs and Board Directors need the ability to influence and engage as well as the courage to take risks. Truly successful CEOs also have a deep understanding of the commercial drivers of their business, combined with intellectual bandwidth, a well-honed ability to spot the right opportunities and an unfailing ability to understand what their customers want.
We see the challenge is in gaining the right experience and the senior exposure required to make it to the top job.
- How does a leader in the marketing function gain board experience and exposure?
- How does a leader in the marketing function build a network with the experts and organisations surrounding CEOs?
- How does a leader in the marketing function gain insight and knowledge of other functions and issues that CEOs face?
The Marketing Academy has partnered with McKinsey & Company to develop the Fellowship Programme. A select group of exceptional marketing leaders at the top of their organisations, large or small, will have the unique opportunity to gain the insight and develop the skills to help them make the transition to CEO or to secure a place on the Board.
Fellowship Programme Overview
Developed in partnership with
The Marketing Academy Fellowship is a unique part-time programme developed exclusively for those already at the very top of the marketing function in their organisations.
Whilst there is no charge for The Fellowship Programme participation is highly selective.
Designed to provide successful fellows with access to Board-level thinking and distinctive learning opportunities, the programme aims to ensure that our marketing leaders build the right capabilities to take on a future CEO or Board role.
The programme commences in January 2016 and will run for 12 months. Fellowships are be awarded to a maximum of 18 high-achieving marketing leaders who will benefit from:
- Mentoring One-to-one mentoring sessions with a select group of high profile Board Chairs, Non Execs , CEOs, CFO's, Lawyers, Bankers, Board executives & influencers.
- Knowledge Curriculum developed by McKinsey & Company which begins with a 3-day "Residential" with developmental content covering the full CEO spectrum hosted at thier first class venue in Europe followed by a series of four 2 day "Masterclasses" covering Board-level topics, designed and delivered by leading experts in their respective fields
- Executive Coaching All fellows will receive one-to-one coaching from an executive coach provided by our coaching partners Wisdom8
- Access to an extended external network of top business leaders and functional experts including Bankers, Accountants, Lawyers, Private Equity leaders, Economists, across all Board functions
- Peer-to-peer learning and development with an exclusive peer group
The Fellowship Programme has been designed for time-constrained individuals, however Fellows are required to fully participate. It is anticipated that the Programme will take up to 15 days in total during the 12-month period.
Elements of the programme are being delivered by:
Selection Criteria & Process
Developed in partnership with
Up to 18 Fellowships are awarded each year following a rigorous selection process which includes application, endorsement, behavioural assessment and face 2 face interview.
Ideal applicants will currently:
- Currently hold the number 1 marketing leadership role (CMO or equivalent) within your country or EMEA region
- Report directly to the President, CEO or EVP of the worldwide or EMEA business
- Have a minimum of 15 years marketing leadership experience
- Have a clear career ambition to become a CEO or to take a wider main board position
- Have leadership experience in at least one international role
- Demonstrate significant professional achievements during your career
- Demonstrate commitment to self-development, both professionally and personally
- Demonstrate clear and speedy progress towards your personal career goals to date
- Have extensive experience of leading large, complex teams and significant budgets, ideally with full P&L accountability
- Be currently fully employed and under no known risk of notice, redundancy or termination during 2016
- Be working for a blue chip company and be a marketing leader in your industry
- Be currently based in Europe ideally UK, Germany, France, Italy or Switzerland
Applicants will supply completed Application Form and a written endorsement from their employer in support of their application. These elements will be evaluated against the full selection criteria.
Successful candidates at this first stage will then progress to face 2 face discussion with a selection panel made up of former Chairmen, Board members and executive recruiters.
To support this meeting we ask candidates to complete a 'personality profiling exercise'. The profiling is non-evaluative and aims to provide more background to the selection panel for their discussions with applicants. As an additional value proposition we commit to provide a full personalised report to each and every candidate who progresses to this stage.
11th September 2015 - Deadline for completed applications
W/c 5th and 12th October 2015 - Behavioural profiling
W/c 19th & 26th October 2015 - Meetings with selection panel
W/c 2nd November 2015 - Successful applicants will be informed
January 2016 - Programme commences
The 3 day 'Residential' will take place in Europe between the 19th to 22nd January 2016.
Masterclasses to be held in London - 21st & 22nd April 2016, 16th & 17th June 2016, 22nd & 23rd September 2016 and 17th & 18th November 2016
Acceptance to the Progamme is conditional on 100% attendance to the residential and Masterclasses.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2015/16 FELLOWSHIP ARE NOW CLOSED
Register with The Marketing Academy for regular updates, info and news*